Vera Stanley Alder
British artist (1898-1984)
Humanity Comes of Age, A study of Individual and World Fulfillment (1950)
Introduction p. I - XII
- What is happening in the world today? We have been living through an epoch in which wars, tyrannies and privations seem to have reached their peak...
- This century has seen world war for the first time. It has seen a world civilization threatened with self-destruction, not only through war but through the exploitation of all the kingdoms in nature...
- It has seen the people themselves taking increasing individual and collective action in order to obtain a world organization or government, a universal religion, or a universal language.
- Surely the human race is at last reaching the stage of adulthood — that adulthood of character which does not depend upon physical age at all — so that it is deliberately embracing responsibility for its own development and government, and trying to face up to the causes of its failures?
- The old ways of life are steadily losing their hold. Labour revolts. Culture revolts too. They are all subconsciously reaching for something different and better. They realize that science and culture, education such as it is, orthodox religion such as it is, have not saved men from a process of self impoverization and mutual extermination in a variety of forms.
- What then is missing? An ideology which would produce full harmony, co-operation and growth in alignment with the laws and economy of nature! Such an ideology has always been available... It is embodied either in the true Christian or the true Buddhist faith, but it has never yet been put into practice. It could provide the scientific and practical basis for world regeneration. It embodies the principle of unity, of sharing and of cooperation.
- There is a great chasm between this new principle and the traditional one of separatism, self-interest and acquisitiveness. This chasm has to be crossed by the human mind to-day. That crossing will revolutionize the whole of human thinking and mark the transition of humanity from the stage of adolescence into the stage of human adulthood.
- There are those who stand in the vanguard, those who huddle ineffectively in the centre, and those who definitely hold progress back.
- ..In this book, to sort out the whole situation as simply as we can. We will endeavour to produce a guide book to progress for those of us who accept this new challenge of adulthood... we will outline the picture of past and present trends of human development.
- Secondly, we will build up a vision of what the future could be like if humanity so chooses — for “without vision the people perish”.
- Thirdly, we will give two practical Courses of self-training, mental and physical, with which we can fit ourselves to become successful pioneers for the new age.
- Finally, we will outline the progressive work already everywhere in existence, so that we may know where and how to dedicate our new strength.
- There are two ways of summing up world history, the inner way and the outer way. Both have been at the mercy of scribes and policies.
- The story of human evolution has progressed steadily from complete exclusiveness to an ever-broadening inclusiveness.
- At first it was built up around the self-interest of the family unit. Later the ring-pass-not enlarged to include the tribe. The tribal communities finally produced the small state or nation. The aggressive self-interest of nations eventually produced Empires. Everything outside of the Empire was potential enemy or potential prey.
- Finally came the conceptions of Federation and of Commonwealth. This saw the emergence of a new concept of co-operation instead of tyranny, and of the rights of the individual instead of those of the autocrat. Nevertheless, even the most benign and powerful of these nation-groups had still to consider everything outside of itself as potential enemy, and therefore self-interest still ruled.
- At the present time the issue is the self-interest of several immense nation-groups. The result is much as it would be if the four quarters of a person’s body were arrayed against each other, and the circulation impeded between them. Economical chaos and frustration is the result, on a world scale.
- Is there a succeeding evolutionary step to be taken which would bring order out of chaos, and which would be the natural sequence of all that has gone before?... The scene would change from that of world and individual disease, due to faulty circulation through obstructions and deficiencies, to collective and individual health due to following the true and natural laws of economy. Instead of a world with a split personality and schizophrenia, as we now have, we would see a global civilization sanely and centrally controlled.
- The age-old metaphysical conceptions of the Divine Plan for mankind shows us the story of the human spirit learning through a long series of incarnations upon earth all those lessons which will finally give him sovereignty over all the forces of growth, and knowledge as to how to work in with the pattern of creation — as a Group.
- At present nations are held back by fear for the loss of their individuality... individual expression is essential.
- The secret which will solve this impasse is that true independence and individuality can only successfully exist in group form!
- The purpose of this book is, firstly, to make a rapid survey, the barest outline, of the knowledge which has existed, all through the history of man, and guided his development from behind the scenes; and, secondly, to study how, upon the foundations of that knowledge there can be built an entirely new way of life, which would produce the final pattern of a sane and successful world civilization.
Chapter I, Secrets Behind History
- There are those who can prove that plans and ideals for a united world and a well organized Brotherhood of Men have existed for hundreds of years and have come to nothing. These are the ones who say “Human nature cannot change!” There are others who declare that we are living through a momentous epoch in history which is ushering in stupendous changes and the possibility for real world unity and a new and better civilization.
- Whatever possibilities and potentialities are latent today, the fact remains that the last word and the final decision will rest with us — the people.
- The difference between the Teaching in its past and in its modern guise is that in the olden days it was used principally for the self-development of the few, whereas at present humanity is considered to have moved forward to the point where the theories and ideals of the Mystery Teaching may soon be put into practice in the life of the community as a whole, because a sufficiently large number of people are now so advanced as to make this possible.
- The ancient writings all claim that a Golden Age is indeed due to follow the death of the present Dark Age. How long it will take to develop depends upon the people and the interest and initiative which they show in regard to the whole matter. It is therefore considered that a great deal may now be written or taught to people at this time on this vital subject, because for them it is still an unaccustomed topic, and it will take some time for them thoroughly to grasp the importance of it and the magnitude of the opportunity...
Chapter II Planning a Model World
- It is beginning to be realized, not by a few idealists but by numbers of the general public, that in spite of the countless triumphs of science and industry there has been something about humanity’s way of living that is proving to be suicidal. Fear, want, disease and war have been increasing in a steady crescendo until they have nearly engulfed the world altogether. This terrible state of affairs has, in spite of all the amenities of progress, been undermining the health, energy and mind-power of all the public everywhere, until most of them have been dulled into a blind acceptance.
- Nevertheless, recently certain things are becoming apparent which have hitherto escaped peoples’ consciousness in a most amazing way. They are beginning to realize that there could be in actuality More Than Enough of Everything in the World for Everybody, and that science, or man’s genius, has made it possible that everything in the world can now reach everybody everywhere; that this applies to both information and necessities; and that all amenities of living could now be made equally available to all peoples.
- Men are realizing that although this has been the case for some time, want, fear, disease and war are still allowed to make havoc of their lives, and that therefore someone or something is betraying them even unto death. They are becoming aware that they themselves are allowing this to happen, and are therefore somehow guilty, because in reality they, the people, are all powerful.
- It is... becoming obvious to them that the cause must lie in their own ignorance, and in that they have allowed themselves to be misinformed, influenced and used.
- Up till now the people have been largely defeated by the language in which economics, science, law and finance are habitually veiled; — the methods by means of which these aspects of the life of the community are managed is a mystery to the ‘man in the street’. Therefore change for them means the unknown, full of terrors and the possibility of loss — because their minds have not been trained logically to visualise coming developments as the natural processes of evolution.
- In making our blue-print of the coming new world, it will be advisable for us to proceed without the slightest regard... for what is apparently possible or for existing conditions, so that present habits of thought and inhibiting fears do not hamper our vision in any way.
- We can assume that a perfect world IS the ultimate goal for mankind and the purpose of God, for this has been promised to us in all religions.
- Let us lay down as the first foundation stone of our work the determination to seek for a World Design which is strictly in accordance with the highest spiritual principles which have been given to man down the ages, irrespective of whether we think the result possible or not.
- The second element in the framework of our design must be the realization of universal unity. This fact is only just beginning to permeate into men’s consciousness.
- The World Government...should be set up in order to deal with all those aspects of life which affect international relationships. It will in no way restrict but rather enhance national characteristics, individuality and genius. This is a point which should clearly be understood and which will be amplified as we go along.
- Nations will for a long time insist upon a large measure of self-government, but when they begin to see the benefits which accrue from each successive international co-operative development, they will finally grasp the new principle of synthesis, and the age of separation will be over for ever.
- It may be said that the actual birth of World Government coincided with the formation of the United Nations Organization, and with the desperate wish to invest it with real authority. So the embryonic World Government is potentially already there... What shape it eventually takes, whether it becomes an enlargement of former tyrannies, or whether in fact it will prove to be the instrument by means of which we shall produce our promised Golden Age, depends upon ourselves, the people.
- We are living in a time of transition, when everything is going to be so different that the experts are possibly more handicapped by their traditional time-worn knowledge than are we, untrained and with minds empty of red tape and orthodoxy.
- Can we grasp, for instance, that in spite of weather vagaries, even in spite of present soil erosion, there is and could be more than enough produced to-day to allow everyone everywhere a fair standard of living, without entailing drudgery for anybody?
- Can we grasp that the only requirement in order that this may be so is organization, a combined world organization founded upon the spiritual principle of sharing and cooperation; and that this would change the world from the state it is now in to a comparative Heaven?
- Can we grasp also that not only have inventions up to date, which would have contrived this, been neglected or misused, but that just around the corner new inventions... will, if they arc allowed, change and improve our lives out of all recognition?
- A World Government is a headpiece. That headpiece must have a body, integrated and responsive to its head! Such a body can only be built up by Federation. Federation is an ingredient of World Government, and will make possible a new economic world organization. This has now been grasped by those who have worked for World Government and those who have worked for Federation, and upon the basis of their amalgamation rapid progress can now be made.
- There will be tremendous difficulties to surmount whilst trying to arrive at the coming stages...
- All this will happen more easily and quickly than seems possible today, firstly because it is an inescapable step in the natural process of human evolution; secondly because humanity itself by its earnest aspiration and patient blind endeavour and endurance, has struggled out of the ancient egotistic separatist attitude, and cast aside the fetters of conventional thought, and is beginning to offer an open mind and heart for the impress of new values and inspirations; thirdly, because the initial steps in world organization which arc about to be achieved by such bodies as the World Health Organization, the U.N. Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization, the Economic and Social Council etc., will soon show up the stupendous possibilities lying ahead.
Chapter III The Future World Government
- Little by little...the embryonic World Government... will set up a series of Councils of experts to study the best means of working out the fundamental problems of human existence — those of economics, agriculture, industry, distribution of populations, application of scientific discoveries, water power, production and distribution of necessities, and the organization of an International Force for the maintenance of peace and order....
- These councils will eventually work in collaboration with each other so that their plans dovetail and cohere from the start, and no aspects of living are forgotten... in time a scientific formula for their organization will be discovered, and a pattern into which everything will fall in its natural place.
- Eventually the government of each nation will send representatives to the World Government... Each national government will contain its own subsidiary international council within its ranks, whose duty it will be to keep closely in touch with its counterpart in every nation, so that constructive planning, agreements on various problems, exchange of news of experiments and of progress, may be carried on all the time.
Chapter IV The Spiritual Cabinet
- At the future period of which we are writing it will be acknowledged that the foundation of Government and of life in all its aspects must be firmly based upon spiritual principles. Thus the whole of World Government would rest upon the ultimate guidance and influence of the Spiritual Cabinet. The utter necessity of putting the spiritual side of life first and of using it as the criterion of living will have been for generations accepted by the people. They will have come to look first for this qualification in any man whom they wish to nominate to a place of responsibility.
- The Spiritual Cabinet would be composed of ... [people] who stand highest in spiritual training and quality amongst a considerable rank of such. Some of these... would be drawn from the leaders of the great religions, but not all... the Spiritual Cabinet should not govern. Rather, by a life of aspiration and meditation should they offer themselves as a channel through which the Will and Love of God can be interpreted. They should consciously act as a link between the Divine Mind and mankind, between the Hierarchy of God’s unseen helpers and planners, and those who wish to serve them in the administration of human affairs. Their problem would be to translate the sensed Plan for mankind into terms applicable to the particular situation which is being dealt with.
- By this time... the living through and the acting out of spiritual or ethical principles would have begun to be an intrinsic part of people’s lives, and orthodoxy as we now know it would have ceased to exist. Religion would no longer be an ‘aspect’ of human living but the almost unconscious foundation of every activity.
- [People].. would have become aware of the purpose and presence of God in every part of creation and in themselves, to such an extent that they would be incapable of separating ‘religion’ from science, education or government. The integration would have become complete.
Chapter XXII Man's Innate Genius
- From the mind of each of us there stretches an invisible thread. This links us with the inner Heavens, the place of all knowledge, and inspiration. Like a telephone wire, this thread is useless unless there is a receiving instrument at one end, and a person trying to establish a contact. We may spend our whole lives without ever properly using our invisible thread, or knowing that it is there. This is tragic, because there is no limit to what we can achieve by means of this magic link. The thread has been known and used by all the sages in history, and has been given many names.
- One rather beautiful name is ‘The Rainbow Bridge’ — the bridge which links us to wisdom. This name is very apt because it is taught that the thread is made up of seven strands, of the colours of the spectrum; and that these strands form our seven little personal links with the seven creative forces of Nature...
- Some great figures in history developed their Rainbow Bridge so effectively that they became geniuses like Raphael or Beethoven. Once a simple peasant girl developed her link with courage so earnestly that she finally became known as Jeanne D’Arc. Many humble people have cared so deeply for their neighbours that they have developed the channel of Divine Love in their Rainbow Bridge and have become great healers.
Chapter XXXI Understanding the World Plan
- What will that world be like? What are the steps by which its achievement can be approached? If we realize what the various needed changes and developments are, we will better understand where we can fit in, and to which necessary efforts we feel most drawn.
- All religions give us the same hints and lay down the same principles, which imply: Firstly, that man will eventually become perfect and God-like — that is to say powerfully creative and no longer subject to death and disease. Such... [people] will obviously be able to run this world in an ideal way. Secondly, that humanity and all life upon this planet are ONE and indivisible... we must try to understand the secret of Unity. Thirdly, that loving and sharing all and with all, is to be the answer to most of humanity’s problems.
Chapter XXXV The Opportunity Today
- Various classes of doctors and healers somewhat to look down upon each other and ignore respective merit. This habit must be superseded, of course, by co-operation, correlation and the growing understanding of the part that various types of healing play in their relation to one another...
- The obvious need is for the... [different]... approaches to healing to approach one another, uphold each others’ integrity and work together. Much of the orthodox doctors’ work is guesswork. A good clairvoyant who can see right through his patient’s body should be able to help enormously with diagnosis. But in order to do so he must learn from the medical profession, so that he can know what it is that he is seeing and convey it to the doctor in a practical manner.
- On his side the doctor should study that branch of the ‘occult’ sciences which deals with man’s etheric double and his centres of force behind the endocrine glands; and also with the seven inter-penetrating states of living substance of which man is formed — physical, etheric, astral or emotional, concrete mental, abstract mental or soul) and spiritual. Between them they should ascertain on which of these ‘planes’ the chief interest of their patient is focussed.
- Does he ‘live in his emotions’? Is he ‘earth to earth’? Is he ‘highly strung’ (etherically or nervously focussed)? Is he a ‘practical man’ (concrete mental)? Is he an intellectual (abstract mind)?... Does he suffer from ‘divine discontent’? Is he an ‘adrenal type’ a ‘thyroid type’ or a ‘pituitary type’ — or a mixture of all of them, and in what degree? According to where and how his life forces are focussed so should be the method of healing adopted for him.
- This will be the science of the future. Today we can only ennumerate some of the new methods of healing, in order to indicate the possibilities ahead and suggest avenues of exploration.
- Biochemistry (life-chemistry) is a further advance yet, and consists in the study and production of cell-salt combinations just as they are found in the living body, and on which metabolism depends. In this way the deficiencies which produce disease and which the patient may be incapable of remedying by himself, are overcome far more quickly than would be possible through taking nourishing food.
- These, then, arc some of the conditions which arc drawing a suffering humanity into a deep and subconscious brotherhood, whose results should swing the public will inevitably into the balance for a unified world under a coherent central organization. It will not, however, be a public composed of ‘sheep’ hidebound by traditional thought-habits as hitherto, and fodder for the totalitarian ideal.
- Rather will it be a public of inherently free individuals w'ho can keep an individual purpose, learnt in the fields of intense suffering and experience. Such a public are likely to accept and wield responsibility in respect of their own government and their own religion and education.
- Vera Stanley Alder: Point in Evolution: 1.65; Ray structure 2 4 3 4 3